Sunday, February 28, 2010

Mousse au Chocolat

So, by popular demand of Elise's mom :), here is the world famous recipe that I received from a friend in Strasbourg. It was her mother's recipe, so you know its good!

Mousse au Chocolat
Serves 4 people


Ingredients:
125g of dark chocolate
1 big chunk of butter (directly translated my recipe calls for "One fat nut of butter"....just put in a fairly large slice and you'll be fine)
4 eggs
1 pinch of salt

1. Melt the chocolate and the butter chunk on low heat
(I used the whole "boil water and place another pot in the water" thing that acts like a double boiler)

2. When the chocolate is soft and melted, take it off the stove

3. Separate the egg whites and the yolks (keep both parts!)

4. Mix in the yolks with the chocolate using a wooden spoon (I don't know if the wooden part is all that important, but its the recipe....)

Attention! This part is important: Make sure not to cook the yolks!!!!!! The flame can't be too high when you're melting the chocolate!!!!!

5. Put the chocolate/yolk combination in a medium sized serving bowl

6. Whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt.

7. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate little by little.

8. Let the mousse sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours, which means you can't eat any of it for at least 3 hours. This is the hardest part....

Et VOILA! Mousse au Chocolat! Hope it works out for you guys!

Side note: I'm messing around with flickr to see if I like it. Here is the site for my pics if you're interested.

2 comments:

  1. Muchas gracias--getting you ready for Spain:) I'm glad you explained the "one fat nut of butter", that's my new favorite French expression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have omanehe dark chocolate from ghana that I can finally use for something delicious! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!